Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Peterson Gang: Unlikely Friendships

I recently had my first experience of reading a book that someone I know had written.  This experience really showed me how much an author pours their heart and soul into every book they write, putting a little piece of themselves on every page.  It definitely gives me a new appreciation for all of the work that authors do.

The Peterson Gang: Unlikely Friendships by Muriel Chesterton is a story that follows the lives of a group of friends that met in secretarial school after the war. I really liked this book because I found the characters genuine and easy to relate to.  They are normal people.  They laugh, cry, have adventures and obstacles, love and heartache.  I feel like I am sharing such a personal part of their lives and really get to know them.

My favorite character is Ben, I love how he is who he is, take it or leave it. He sticks to his guns even if his choices may not conform to what people expect of a young man his age. He doesn't want kids, and there is no changing his mind.  This was so interesting to read, because having three children myself I don't often get to think of how life is for people on the other side of the fence who have no children and no desire to ever have any.  I adored how Doris didn't try to to change Ben's mind, it shows how strong they both are by living their lives the way they want to live them and not how they are expected to live them.  I also enjoyed Ben's little quirks, like his neatness. A place for everything, and everything in it's place. It reminds me a lot of someone I know, and was a pleasure to read. 

I look forward to seeing what happens to the Peterson gang in the next parts of this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment